LEGACY is challenging our community to come together and tackle the break down in the growth of our youth.Â We believe the children are our future and we need to do everything we can to help them become productive citizens and great leaders.Â Â Legacy is in the fight against youth violence, childhood obesity and childhood illiteracy. One great way to make a difference is to share the joy of teaching our youth.Â We offer tutoring in areas such as physics, theater, math, reading and music. Â Â All of our tutoring and mentoring programs are currently headed by volunteers. Â So if there is something you feel you are an expert in and would like to teach others, then this is the volunteer opportunity for you.
LEGACYâ€™s Arts/Theater Youth Program is a production course designed to equip students with the skills necessary to a put on a full production.Â LEGACY students will complete modules in subjects such as drama, comedy, set design, costume design, community service, civic engagement, and lifestyle choices. LEGACYâ€™s Arts/Theater Youth Program will give students a unique opportunity to obtain advice and assistance from LEGACY staff and volunteers as well as guest speakers and presenters who are highly respected in the arts.Â We will use some of the same concepts from the Leadership program.
We need volunteers for LEGACYâ€™s Art/Theater Youth summer program that have experience in drama, music, vocal, or dance to teach our students on Saturdays through the summer until the showcase. Â We also need volunteers to sign students in, serve refreshments, and fundraiser events. If interested, please fill out form below.
Volunteer Position: Tutor
Â Reports to: LEGACY – Leadership Empowerment Growth Achievement Comes from our Youth a 501c3 Non-Profit Organization
- Assist elementary and/or high school students with homework and other academic needs; Assist with or lead enrichment activities; serve as an adult role-model for students in an ongoing one-on-one capacity.
- This position is expected to support the creation of â€œcommunityâ€ through development of positive, cooperative relationships with students, school staff and other volunteers.
Â Primary Roles & Responsibilities:
- Assist students with Homework or any other academic support/enrichment from approximately 7:00 pm to approximately 9:00 pmâ€”in approximately per volunteer session
- Provide tutoring in a individual or group setting atomsphere
- Lead a project-based cooperative learning group during the after school hours
- Help answer studentsâ€™ questions as they are working through the class material and projects
- Support individual student academic needs as assigned
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Enjoy working with children.
- Must be over age 18.
- Must pass a background check.
- Must have a high school degree.
Exception: High school students needing service hours may work with elementary students or provide peer coaching
Â Time Commitment:
- Commit to a regular shift (minimum 2 hours per week) for a semester.
- Select a day from our tutoring program time frame: Monday – Thursday from 7:00pm to 9:00pm and Sunday from 3:00 pm to 9:00 pm. Special arrangements may discussed
- Volunteers are needed throughout the school year, but we ask volunteers to commit to one semester. Â Consistency is the key to our success.
- Fall semester volunteer needs: early September â€“ mid December.
- Spring semester volunteer needs: January â€“ mid May.
If interested, please fill out form below.
OUTLINE OF VOLUNTEERâ€™S RESPONSIBILITIES: Event volunteers assist on the event day for set-up, guest assistance and registration or clean up. Â Volunteers may also choose to be involved in event planning.
SUPPORT PLAN: Event volunteers work under the direction of various members of the event committee, staff or other volunteers, who will provide task-specific
TIME COMMITMENT: Event day volunteers will typically be asked to commit at least 3 hours. Participation on an event planning committee typically requires larger time commitments over several months.
QUALIFICATIONS NEEDED: Depends on tasks.
BENEFITS: Depending on the type of event, volunteers may be able to attend the event free of charge or at a reduced price. All LEGACY volunteers are invited to LEGACY events and parties, receive the LEGACYâ€™s newsletter and receive credit in LEGACYâ€™s Annual Report. Event volunteers also have the opportunity to learn new skills from professionals, meet others in the community, while supporting healthy urban/ youth programs.
Work closely with Executive Director, in locating/ planning fundraising events for programing and the development of mentoring/ educational programs
Fundraising Volunteer contact with outside vendors for various non-profit needs
Process incoming and prepare outgoing mail and coordinate volunteers
Provide administrative support with regard to e-mails and newsletters
Provide general clerical support, including filing, copying, correspondence and errands
Seek and participate in strategic opportunities for professional development
Participate in staff meetings and activities and other LEGACY activities, as required.
Under general directions and supervision, the Fundraiser Volunteer is responsible for independently conducting the operational management and implementation of all activities pertaining to fund development and fundraising
Track and properly document all activities and complete all necessary reporting requirements
Fundraiser Volunteer will ensure that personal conduct and representation at meetings; and other duties as assigned
If interested, please fill out form below.
To Volunteer Please fill out the form below:
[contact-form-7 id=”130″ title=”Volunteer Form”]